Average Speeds Once Again Show A Lot
Like I predicted before the race, average speeds pretty much was a telling sign on how the race would end. There were a few surprises, but if you guessed well enough you missed them and could have easily had a great week. I feel sorry for everyone who had Stewart (I did, too).
FourtyEight 5 had the best week overall with 923 points. He had Hamlin, Bowyer, McMurray, Montoya, Reutimann, and Allmendinger. Congratulations to him.
Onto Dover! Practice setup will be normal again this week, and average speeds will be a good indicator.. First practice is on Friday, followed by qualifying on ESPN2. There will be two practices on Saturday where all teams will be working on race setups.
1. Clint Bowyer @ 128.686 mph over 72 laps
Finished 1st. Stayed up front all day.
2. Jimmie Johnson @ 128.440 mph over 101 laps
Finished 25th. Had a top ten car but a loose wheel ruined their day.
3. Kasey Kahne @ 128.232 mph over 86 laps
Finished 14th. Didn't come on until late in the race.
4. Juan Montoya @ 128.227 mph over 50 laps
Finished 16th. Stayed up front for a while but fell back.
5. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. @ 128.206 mph over 81 laps
Finished 4th. Charged to the front and stayed there.
6. Jamie McMurray @ 128.190 mph over 91 laps
Finished 3rd. Top five car all day.
7. Martin Truex, Jr. @ 128.149 mph over 70 laps
Finished 20th. As usual, his average practice speeds were a fluke.
8. Denny Hamlin @ 128.111 mph over 100 laps
Finished 2nd. I thought he finished better than what his car was.
9. A.J. Allmendinger @ 128.080 mph over 78 laps
Finished 12th. Ran out of fuel while running in the top 5. Fought back all race.
10. Mark Martin @ 128.059 mph over 81 laps
11. Kevin Harvick @ 128.009 mph over 65 laps
Finished 5th. Not the best car out there, but got the finish.
12. Tony Stewart @ 128.003 mph over 94 laps
Finished 24th. Ran out of gas with one lap remaining and with the lead.
13. Joey Logano @ 127.996 mph over 84 laps
Finished 35th. Not very good all day and then got into a wreck.
14. Greg Biffle @ 127.996 mph over 84 laps
Finished 17th. Didn't hear much about him all day.
15. Sam Hornish, Jr. @ 127.948 mph over 84 laps
Finished 10th. Solid, surprising race.
16. Kurt Busch @ 127.893 mph over 81 laps
17. Brad Keselowski @ 127.801 mph over 67 laps
Finished 18th. Was in the top ten for about half the race then fell back.
18. Kyle Busch @ 127.788 mph over 105 laps
Finished 9th. Right where he started.
19. David Reutimann @ 127.707 mph over 73 laps
Finished 7th. Solid race all day, was in the top ten for most of it.
20. Paul Menard @ 127.700 mph over 95 laps
Finished 28th. Got in a wreck early.
21. Marcos Ambrose @ 127.652 mph over 61 laps
22. Carl Edwards @ 127.644 mph over 86 laps
Finished 11th. Ran with the leaders for some of the day.
23. Jeff Gordon @ 127.640 mph over 70 laps
Finished 6th. Came on strong at the end. Looked dismal all day.
24. Jeff Burton @ 127.635 mph over 80 laps
25. Matt Kenseth @ 127.599 mph over 52 laps
Finished 23rd. Got into a wreck (I think).
26. Elliott Sadler @ 127.593 mph over 75 laps
27. Ryan Newman @ 127.331 mph over 80 laps
Finished 8th. A quiet top ten finish.
28. David Ragan @ 127.250 mph over 101 laps
29. Regan Smith @ 127.117 mph over 59 laps
30. Reed Sorenson @ 126.889 mph over 54 laps
31. Dave Blaney @ 126.682 mph over 68 laps
32. Scott Speed @ 126.360 mph over 54 laps
Finished 36th. Blew up and wasn't feeling well all weekend.